Norwalk's Pesky Squirrel Problem
January 15, 2023 - Squirrels
What pesky problems bother you in Norwalk? One of the most often overlooked issues is a squirrel infestation. While squirrels appear cute and friendly, they can cause serious trouble for homeowners. Learn more about squirrels in the area, and find out what you should do to protect your property.
What's So Bad About Squirrels?
You might be wondering if squirrels are really an issue in Norwalk. These creatures are small rodents with bushy tails. Although they vary in color, squirrels are usually grayish and have somewhat beady eyes. Most people see squirrels as adorable animals, and they even feed them. Unfortunately, squirrels aren't quite what they seem.
The Dangers Of Squirrels
Squirrels are rodents, which means that they have teeth that grow continuously. To prevent health issues, squirrels have a biological need to chew on things. Much like rats and mice, squirrels chew on anything and everything they can find.
- Property Damage: The need to chew makes squirrels likely to cause property damage. If squirrels get into your home, they could cause structural damage or even spark a fire. When squirrels start chewing on electrical wires, they create shorts that sometimes spark. That innocent little squirrel in your attic could cause a house fire.
- Spreading Diseases: One of the most significant issues with squirrels is their ability to spread diseases. The feces and urine of squirrels can spread diseases, as can the bite of this rodent. In any case, you and your family could be in danger when you have squirrels around.
- Hard To Keep Out: A challenge associated with squirrels is that they can easily invade homes in Norwalk. Certain rodents, like Norway rats, aren't excellent climbers. As long as you can seal up the bottom floors of your home, Norway rats can't get inside. But squirrels spend most of their time in trees. As a result, they are more than capable of getting onto your roof and into your attic. They will invade if you're not taking extraordinary measures to keep squirrels out.
Can You Keep Squirrels Away?
Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to deter squirrels. All of the following are ways in which you can keep squirrels from entering your home or business.
- Remove Bird Feeders: As much as you like having birds on your Norwalk property, you should know that your bird feeders could be attracting squirrels. The seeds and nuts in bird feeders provide easy meals for squirrels. You have two options for fixing this. For one, you could stop keeping bird feeders near your home, which removes the problem and may save you from a squirrel infestation. The other option is to use squirrel-proof bird feeders.
- Seal Up Cracks: If you have cracks in your home, squirrels may be able to chew their way inside. Use caulk or sealant to seal up cracks and keep all rodents at bay.
- Trim Tree Branches: Typically, squirrels use tree branches to climb onto roofs. If you want to keep squirrels away, trim up your tree branches. Make sure that none of them are directly touching your home's roof. Because squirrels can jump, you should keep branches as far away from your home as possible.
Call Us For Help
It takes a true expert to keep squirrels away. Here at Insecta X, we don't want squirrels to be a problem for you. We give our team members the training and resources to deter squirrels and handle any other pest issues you have.
If you're worried about squirrels in Norwalk, call us now. You can rely on our ongoing services to keep squirrels and other dangerous pests away from your home.