Norwalk Homeowners’ Complete Guide To Effective Mouse Control
February 14, 2022 - Rodents
Mice are one of the most common types of pests that invade Norwalk homes. Although mice are active year-round and invade all year, they tend to do more in winter.
When temperatures drop, and resources in the wild become scarce, mice search for warm shelter, food, and water to sustain them through the winter. Unfortunately, that resting place may also be your home.
Read on for more about what the mice in Norwalk look like.
What Do The Mice In Norwalk Look Like?
Several types of mice are common and thus call for the help of Norwalk pest control services. Some of the most common mice to invade Norwalk homes include:
- Field Mouse
- White-footed Mouse
- Deer Mouse
- House Mouse
- Woodland Jumping Mouse
Of these five types mentioned above, the house and deer mice are most likely to invade homes.
House mice are small, measuring 2.5 to four inches long, and vary from light brown to grey with cream-colored underbellies. They have pointed noses and large ears, and their tails measure just as long as their bodies or longer.
Deer mice are larger, measuring seven inches long with short tails. They range in color from grey to yellowish-brown, with white feet and a white underbelly.
How Dangerous Is it To Have Mice In Your Norwalk Home?
Having mice in your Norwalk home is dangerous for two main reasons:
- They contaminate areas of the home, including surfaces and food, such as fresh food or pantry items, with their saliva, urine, feces, and their nesting behaviors.
- Mice transport bacteria, which cause sickness, as well as parasites.
Mice have dirty nesting behaviors, and they urinate and defecate in and around their nests while also using saliva to build their nests. Even when their waste dries, it can be stirred into the air and breathed in by people and pets in the home. Some of the diseases that mice are known to spread include:
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis
Additionally, mice are also known to carry parasites, such as ticks and fleas, which have their pathogens.
Five Practical Mouse Prevention Tips For Norwalk Homes
The most effective way to stop mice from entering your Norwalk home is with preventative action. Here are five practical ways to keep mice out of your home:
- Remove Food Outdoors That May Be Attracting Them: Mice like fruits, berries, and plants, so you may be drawing them if you have fruit trees or a garden in your yard. If you can’t remove these plants, try applying rat guards to tree trunks. In gardens, scatter mint plants throughout (which deter mice) and regularly remove ripe and dropped fruit.
- Clean Up Your Yard Space: Fallen debris in your lawn, such as leaves, twigs, and branches, as well as piles of firewood and fallen leaves, coupled with overgrown grass and greenery, can provide mice with ample places to hide.
- Properly Store Trash: Store trash in an airtight bin and regularly remove it from the home.
- Consider Adopting A Furry Friend: An easy way to keep mice out is to adopt a cat. A cat’s scent alone is a mouse deterrent.
- Practice Cleanliness: Mice are mainly drawn to homes with food. Vacuuming regularly will remove crumbs and food debris, as well as cleaning surfaces.
How To Get Rid Of Mice For Good In Your Norwalk Home
The safest and quickest way to remove mice from your Norwalk home is with professional pest control services.
Insecta X Total Pest Solutions is a local, family-owned pest control business serving homes and businesses in Norwalk and throughout Fairfield County for more than 35 years. We offer a variety of services, including inspection, prevention, extermination, and live animal relocation, as well as pet-safe treatment options.
If you suspect you have mice or other pests in your Norwalk home, call Insecta X Total Pest Solutions today at 203-938-3595.